Pages

Monday, October 3, 2016

Supercenter Save Mart



© 2016 Mark Cote

In a cold unknown small town
in the middle of nowhere
mom and dad's little hometown shop
it used to be right there
in the pit of my stomach
I knew something's not right
I applied for work and humbled myself
and went out of sight

twisted smiles in the hallways
I hope you're doing well
rats scurrying all around
looking for items they could sell
scripted words they told me to say
colors from someone's night
in the shadows of clouded minds
I can feel them say

(chorus) Welcome to the supercenter save mart
                  such a shallow face
                  such a frantic pace
                  everyone's worked at the supercenter save mart
                  many things you fear
                  you can find them here

ones are ivory gifted
at the cost of those
who are just trying to make it by
but they don't know
cutting out their hours
still making them sweat
life burns them like an ember
still they choose to forget

anything that can happen
they'll tell you it's fine
it is all just tainted now
until the end of time
and still those spirits will haunt me from yesterday
a darkened part of my life
where I heard them say

(chorus)

bosses on the ceiling
omnipresent eyes
we are all just prisoners here
but we're not that wise
in executive silence
under all the fluff
they add all that they made
but they just can't make enough

sometime in November
I was where I was before
was I looking out or looking in
was this the same old store
but alas said the boss man
this is only a dream
you can clock out anytime you like
but you can never leave


No comments:

Post a Comment